Thursday, June 06, 2013

When Flip Flops Flop

I'm always amused that the universal symbol for summer is a flip flop. When one lives in New York City, the last thing you should wear are flip flops. As much as Guiliani and Bloomberg have cleaned up Manhattan, lifestyle and culture wise, it is still a filthy town. With eight million people milling around, how could it not be? Eons ago, it didn't take long for me as a newbie to realize that wearing flip flops around town would do nothing but turn my feet black.

I have no love for the flip flop. They create an unflattering silhouette. No one's legs look longer or prettier in them. Apart from being a lifeguard there is no professional situation where they are appropriate and you are forcing people to look at your feet. And let's face it, no one has nice feet.

As much as I love summer, I don't love flip flops and I am constantly on the hunt for shoes that are easy to slip on and off. These are a good start. Small, delicate and not a lot of actual shoe. If you wear them your feet won't look like you just walked through a coal mine.

Ellen Lamb Flat (Comes in lots of colors!)
Clarks Women's Poem Journal Flat

Anne Klein Sport Women's Seana Flat
BCBGeneration Women's Agatha Slip-On