Thursday, October 29, 2009

And Now For Some Sick New York City Apartments

Wednesday was a dreary day but I didn't want to be cooped up inside. La Madre came in from Connecticut and watched Andre while I went out and took a look at some new apartments. I've done so many $3000 one bedrooms over the past two months that I really needed to see something new, something that would amaze even me. (Don't get me wrong, I've still got plenty of studios and one bedrooms to go around.)

I put on my new red rain boots and started in the West Village and worked my way up to the Upper East Side. These are some truly obscene rentals and a far cry from some of the cookie cutter buildings out there. Which is no disrespect to the cookie cutter buildings of Manhattan. More often than not they pay my bills.

First off: my favorite: A four bedroom, four bath in a doorman building on 92nd and Park with an attended elevator. (How old school is that?) This is my favorite rental building in all of Manhattan, and this unit is a true home for whoever is lucky enough to get it. The eat-in kitchen with new appliances and miles of counter space has a breakfast bar and a washer dryer. There are so many rooms I actually got lost while taking photographs. The living room is huge and sunny and off of the master bedroom is a little den, perfect for an office or a little TV room. $11,250 a month.


In the same building, one flight up, is this two bedroom, two bath, penthouse unit with a giant, south-facing wrap-around terrace. The kitchen is windowed and sunny, and the living room has a working fireplace. Even on a cloudy day this was a very bright apartment. And views are ridiculous. $6700 a month.


Speaking of terraces, if downtown is more your speed, this 15th floor, two bedroom, two bath offers birds eye views that are so cool, even New Jersey looks good. It's gut renovated with a large, separate kitchen. Bedrooms are king sized and there are lots of closets. Doorman, elevator, laundry and literally smack in the middle of the village. $5900 a month.


If you don't mind walking up a few flights of stairs, over in Chelsea on 17th Street and Eighth Avenue is sprawling three bedroom that would be a great share for a couple of young people. The modern, pass-thru kitchen leads to an over sized living room that could host many memorable parties. There are lots of windows and cool city views. Some of the bedrooms have exposed brick, and there are two bathrooms, so no waiting in line in the morning. $4300 a month.


East Village, Avenue B and Houston Street
This sprawling corner home faces south and east with unobstructed city views. The chef's kitchen with Viking appliances opens to an L-shaped living room large enough for a long dining table or an office area. Five inch plank, hardwood chestnut flooring throughout. The bedroom is king sized with a balcony and a walk-in closet. The windowed bathroom includes a deep soaking tub, Cinza slate flooring and Thassos marble wall in bath. The washer/dryer in the apartment. This pristine condo rental comes with a furnished sundeck with Wifi, bicycle storage, cardio room, and a driveway for pickup and drop off. $3495 a month. It's practically free.



That's all I have for now. I'll be in a commercial real estate seminar all day on Friday, so amuse yourselves with these until I get back. Any questions, you know how to find me.