Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Initially I wanted to name Andre Ivan, but was shot down on many fronts. Since Andre is such a big guy, I think it would have been a good fit. Ivan is a badass name, especially if you're huge.



I love watching these old 80s movies now, which are so dated with their Russains as villains. A few years ago I knew a Moldovan guy who hated Rocky IV, namely because none of the main Russian characters, Ivan Drago and his paramour, Ludmilla, were played by actual Russians. They were Swedish.

He would also Lose.His.Mind when Americans thought the word babushka meant furry hat. It means grandmother. And it's pronounced baa-boosh-ka. Not ba-bush-ka.

And with that, I offer you the Soviet Anthem, Rocky IV style.


Speaking of, a few years ago I got La Madre and I seats to a talk with Mikhail Gorbachev and I thought she would combust when she got within two feet of him, she was so excited. Afterward it was hard to get her out, since she suddenly had a room full of Russians that she could speak with. Of course, she wore leopard print, like every Russian woman of a certain age does. I am convinced this is how people knew to address her in Russian and not in English.
Gorbachev