Friday, May 25, 2007

There's Still Time to Flee!


since it's memorial day, originally uploaded by paul goyette.


In true La Pauline fashion, I fled New York City last night in an effort to avoid the Metro-North on a holiday weekend. I've learned the hard way that even though it's a holiday, Metro-North doesn't add extra cars to off-peak trains in an effort to thwart crowding. That said, I was on the 8: 40 p.m. train last night and have been hiding out in Greenwich ever since.

I spent most of the afternoon sunning myself on the back deck. I also just finished reading Anna David's book, Party Girl, which I highly recommend. Other plans for the weekend include a possible hike on Bear Mountain, which is the highest point in Connecticut, as well as a trip to Tod's Point here in town. On Monday Old Greenwich has their little parade as well as patriotic music in Binney Park. I'm such a sucker for old-time festivities.

I hope everyone can find a way to get out of NYC this weekend, or at least to the beach. I think Long Beach is the best bang for your buck, but I hear Far Rockaway is also worth the commute. Brighton Beach is also a good pick, espcially if you like vodka and fat Russian men in Speedos with your sun bathing.



Erin C. just forwarded me this link about bathing a kitten. A week after Le Doug and I shaved The Boys for the summer, I am finally feeling better about the decision. They were a little wild-eyed last week, but you should see them now, napping comfortably in this near 90 degree heat. Last summer they would just stow themselves away in the basement for the afternoon. Now both of them are hanging out in the window sills with me. Maestro, in particular, practically flies around the house now that all his fur has been removed. Thankfully, so has all my guilt.