Friday, March 16, 2007

A Musical Easter Egg


kiss easter eggs, originally uploaded by Rakka.


Yesterday afternoon I picked up my old laptop from the guy who was fixing it. This was my old school, 1997 laptop that had a lot of my *important* data on it. And by important data, I mean half finished novels and journal entries from 2003.

The guy at the store took all the important stuff off the computer and put it on two CDs for me. This was a bit of a surprise, because I didn't think that I had quite so many failed writing projects.

He told me that in some random section of the computer, that clearly I was never aware of, he found hundreds of music files. There were so many he had to put them on a separate CD. I took the CDs home and checked them out, and sure enough there is practically the entire Beatles and Rolling Stone catalogue, not to mention Claption, JJ Cale, Fleetwood Mack...you name it. I was practically squealing with glee last night.

Some selections are questionable, though, such as the Celine Dion songs and the Shania Twain. The computer was given to me in 2003 by a relative who had taken it back from someone who worked for their company. They were going to throw it away until I intervened and promised to give it a good home. The guy it used to belong to was a family man in his 40s, which would explain all the Dire Straits. It does not, however, explain the Faith Hill.

Unrelated: I'm writing this from Mud Cafe in the East Village, and I am seated next to two bookish, 30-something hipsters who are clearly on a first date. (Perhaps they met on Nerve.com?) The woman went to Yale and the guy went to some school in Boulder, Colorado. The woman is actually making fun of people who are Geminis. This, from a woman who went to Yale.