Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Everyone's Pregnant!


Children, originally uploaded by Neville_S.


This afternoon I got a voice mail from my friend Julie, who lives down in Orlando. It was strange, especially since Julie never calls me unless she is trying to set up a meeting for when she is in town. She's a very efficient friend that way, never clogging up my day with pointless phone calls or e-mail forwards. This is one of the many reaons why Julie stays in the Inner Circle. (Or Circle of Trust, if you're nasty.)

In true La Pauline fashion I started blabbering on about my running schedule and how Doug is away, blah, blah and then, out of left field, I said, "Hey. Are you pregnant?"

Julie was quiet for a beat. "That's a very interesting question. Why did you ask that?"

A woman who is not pregnant does not answer the "Are you pregnant" question that way. I knew my anwser. I jumped up and down. It was good news, indeed. She is due in September.

Julie is literally the fourth or fifth friend of mine (that I know of) who is going to have a baby this year. Most of these friends are Jewish, so I have a lot of brisses and other such events to look forward to. Baby showers are great, but I hear that brisses are catered better. I'm looking forward to them all.

Over in the extended adolescence that is my life, (Weddings? Babies? Ha!) I'm training for a 10K. I guess there really isn't all that much to train for since it's only 6.2 miles, but I'm taking it seriously. Today I hit the gym and ran 4.14 miles, so I've got a few to go. I hate running on treadmills and luckily the weather is warming up in my favor.

See you at the finish line.