Saturday, May 03, 2014

The Hottest Book In Town: Capital


Yesterday during my lunch hour I had to go to three different bookstores in Union Square in order to find this book. Barnes & Noble was sold out, as was Shakespeare & Company. On a whim I popped into the NYU bookstore and there were two copies sitting on a table. Maybe since it's finals the kids don't have time for recreational reading about economic theory. Having a copy makes me feel like I own some sort of nerd status symbol, the way hipsters like to walk around with giant copies of David Foster Wallace's Infinite Jest.

When I was back at my desk I logged onto Amazon and it's sold out there as well. Let's think about that for a second. In 2014 a book is sold out on Amazon. And you can get anything you want on Amazon.


Either way, it's great that we live in a world where we can have rockstar economists. Nouriel Roubini was great during the fiscal crisis. Now that income inequality is all the rage, it looks like Piketty is taking center stage.