Wednesday, October 14, 2009

It's been a crazy week. I've been out and about with clients, I have a lease signing tomorrow as well as lunch with an old friend from Connecticut. I also have another client who just moved here from Italy who is living in hotels because a co-op board refuses to get back to us about the state of her application. She's being a good sport thus far, but everyone involved -- including myself, the client and the apartment's owner is stressed out. Even my accounting department is confused, because they don't know what to do with all the money she wired over for rent, fees, etc.

It's all made me a little tense, and when I get tense, I start having opinions. Hence, a new post on the Huffington Post about competitive motherhood in Manhattan.

I've seen a lot of apartments this week, from $1400 studios in the East Village to $4000 one bedrooms on the Upper East Side with 36th floor views that could melt your face off.

One apartment that I took two client to was huge, furnished -- and smelled musty. This was strange, since it was in a new building with a fancy marble lobby and a gym. The owner outfitted it with 1970s era wooden furniture and the place stunk. The listing agent later e-mailed me for feedback, which is always a dangerous thing, especially when I am juggling many clients and an Italian ex-pat who's holed up at overpriced hotels and losing patience with a co-op board.

And so it goes:
"The furnished client didn't like the furnishings and the non-furnished client wasn't thrilled with the green walls or the outdated kitchen, which is a shame. The space is amazing. Also: owner may want to consider taking some of the older furniture out, since it smells like mothballs in there. Not sure if you were aware.

But the building is awesome as is the unit. It just needs to be an ounce more modern. Those afghans really turned off the furnished client."

Seriously, afghans? If you're ever trying to rent a furnished unit, don't add knick-knacks like afghans and Precious Moments figurines. Furnished clients are looking for basic pieces -- a nice couch, TV, dining table, etc. They don't need the window dressings.

The bottom line is that if over the next few days you ask my honest opinion about something, chances are you're going to get it. And it's going to be really honest, reflecting the ball of sunshine that I am right now. Buyer beware.