Saturday, November 22, 2008

I Am A Little Concerned About The 6 Train


Four times in the past 24 hours I have been majorly delayed by the 6 train, going both uptown and downtown. Twice I was actually stuck on the train, between stations.

It started Friday morning at 77th Street, when I was trying to get to work. Basically, the train never came due to "signal problems." I left and hopped a bus to 59th Street, then took an N train to 14th Street.

On the way home I got stuck in a tunnel for over 20 minutes, again because of a "signal problem." We were literally 50 yards outside of Grand Central station.

This morning, again, I had to walk to work from Murray Hill because there was no 6 train. Heading back home after some shopping, something went wrong with the brakes on an uptown train, and we all had to get off while they fixed it.

I understand that the subway runs on an antiquated system, but in the nine years that I've lived in NYC I've never gotten stuck in a tunnel. With the recent cuts to service that the MTA recently announced, I also don't expect things to get much better.

It's also futile to suggest that the Second Avenue subway would solve these transit issues. Guess what, kids, the Second Avenue subway is never going to happen. It's like the Easter Bunny or Santa Clause: people tell you it's coming, but deep down you know it's nothing but a fairy tale.

If you need me, I'll be on the bus. I get lots of reading done there.