Sunday, March 30, 2008

Another Weekend, Another Race

Pre-Race -- Lookin' Sharp!

This morning I headed up to Central Park to run the Scotland Run 10K. That's 6.2 miles for all you couch potatoes. I don't have my official score yet, but I think I finished in about an hour flat, just as I did last year. I feel a little meh about my time, mostly because I really wanted to get a time under an hour, but what can you do? Maybe I should have eaten a better breakfast.

I ran the Scotland Run last year, which was a big endeavor for me. As many followers of this blog know, I slipped a disc in my back in early 2005 and was basically told by my neurologist that I should not try running again. It was too risky! I only have one back! But I'm stubborn and don't listen to anyone besides myself. (And Peppe, but he never has much to say.) That said, as soon as I could run again I worked up to five miles, which as you know is not techincally enough for a 10K. I ran anyway was sore for a week, but I finished in an hour flat. The moral of the story is that it gave me faith to start running again, and longer distances. Also: never doubt me when I say I'm going to do something.

Back to today's race. There were a million more people than last year and the baggage area was a mess. (They seriously need a better system than just tossing everyone's bags in a roped off area.) Also, I'm beginning to think that the New York Road Runner organizers are sadists, since they put the finish line at the top of a hill (Not cool, kids. Not cool.)

Everyone comes out of the woodwork for a race.
Everyone Comes Out Of The Woodwork For A Race

Post-Race Glow.
Post Race Glow

After the race I met up with fellow Junior Leaguer, Marney, and being the downtown gals that we are, munched at Murray's Bagel's on 13th and 6th. Then Marney suggested that I get my nails done at a place down the street. This week's color is Fruit Sangria by Essie. See, the more I see women painting their nails all these deep dark reds and blacks, the more I was to turn it around and go Technicolor with my manicures. I also tossed in a 10-minute massage, for good measure. Apres-race also included some shopping. I picked up two dresses, a pair of shoes and some skanky underwear. All in all, a good day!
Fruit Sangria By Essie