Friday, January 11, 2008

A True Story About A New Yorker Being Nice To An Injured Animal

I was walking by Hunter College at around 8:00 on Thursday morning when I saw a very hurt and very scared orange cat that was caught behind a wrought iron fence. It was rush hour and people were hustling by, so maybe they didn't see or hear it. Nevertheless, it was wailing at the top of its lungs, a sound that could break your heart instantly. The newspaper guy on the corner was pretty sure it had been hit by a car.

I was about to scoop it up myself and take it to my friend Kim's veterinary office when, out of nowhere, a young guy, about 35 or so, climbed over the 10-foot high fence (the kind with spikes on top) and calmed the cat down. Later on after my appointment I was told that the guy took the cat to a vet where it was checked out.

Sometimes I think I'm the only person who would stop to help a helpless animal. I am so happy to see that others were willing to put their day on hold for that scared orange cat as well.

Moral of the story: Be kind to all beasts, orange and otherwise.