Saturday, January 12, 2008

Good Girls Keep Diaries, Bad Girls Are Too Busy To Keep Them

...not that I'm up to no good. It's just that since 2008 started life has been in fast forward. January is always one of my favorite months to kick back ang veg, but so far there have been parties to go to, committee meetings to attends, and starting next week there is a class to teach.

The beauty of being single in New York is that suddenly you can do whatever you want, whenever you want. I had planned to spend my Friday evening at the gym and then maybe catching a flick in Union Square. But then I got a text that people were going to be at the Hotel Gansevoort bar, and that I should join them.

The night stretched on until about 2:00 a.m., when several of us went home. One of my friends caught a cab to the Upper East Side. I walked across 14th Street and back to Gramercy, stopping once at a McDonald's for a little cheeseburger. I couldn't remember the last time I had had one of those. It was the perfect midnight snack.

Tonight, again, is a brthday party, and possibly another next Saturday. The last time I was having this much unpredictable fun I was 24, going for long runs everyday -- as I am now -- with a closet full of fly outfits to wear. It was a good life then, and it is now.

A lot of people say that since I'm 30 I should be a lot more marriage-minded. Don't worry, I am. But the larger lesson is that you also shouldn't scoff at good times when they hit you like a tsunami. I'm lucky to have friends who text at the last minute and want me to come out. They check my blog and send me e-mails about posts they like. They support whatever quixotic ideas that I have. (Seriously, a blog about handbags?)

Sure, New Year's Even plans were a little spotty since a lot of my old cronies are married, have kids or have moved to different states. But every time an old friend goes on hiatus, a new friend bubbles up, and that's where the fun begins.

Have a great night, everyone. Try something different this weekend.