Saturday, May 12, 2007

Some Weekend Reading For You

Perfect Cookies

One of my many claims to fame is that I make amazing chocolate chip cookies. I don't know why this, of all skills, has been bestowed upon me, but yet I have it. It started last year when I made a batch for Le Doug and his office, and now it's gotten to a point where both his office and Metro-North train friends make special requests for my cookies.

Thing is, there is no secret to it at all. I just use the recipe on the back of the Nestle morsels package. True, there are other nuances to cookie making, such as watching the cookies once they are in the oven and which rack you put it on. All in all, though, anyone can make really good cookies.

My friend Ned Vizzini has a piece in The New York Times Book Review this week. Please read it and wish that you were as briliant as he.

Also noteworthy is the cat fight that seems to be brewing over Rebecca Mead's book, One Perfect Day, which is an exploration of the American wedding. Jodi Kantor doesn't seem to be a fan.

And for all you music dorks: Rolling Stone may still be the leader in music writing and Creem may be gasping for air, in whatever form. Spin may have gone all emo, and Idolator makes fun of them all. Nevertheless, don't forget about a small contender back in the 1960s called Crawdaddy.