Monday, May 14, 2007

A Busy Pauline is a Good Pauline

Vineyard

Recreational activities kept me busy and away from the blog today, but at least I'm here now.

Yesterday, as we all know, was Mother's Day. I hope you all did something nice for your Ma. Le Doug and I took La Madre to brunch at the Grand Hyatt in Greenwich, which turned out to be a curious affaire. Brunch at the Hyatt is always a good idea, especially if you have to impress someone. The service is great, you can eat in the atrium with all the birds and trees and there is more food than you will know what to do with. I recommend the dessrt table.

The stakes go up on Mother's Day because everyone realizes they have to do something nice for their mother. The Hyatt realized this and turned their grand ballroom into an enormous Mother's Day event with about 300 tables for families. It looked like a giant wedding, complete with a jazz quartet in the middle of the room and the desserts were on a stage in the front. Bloody Marys were served at a station right as you walked in. The food was in the corridor. I really wished I had taken a photo of it, because I've never seen so many people crammed into a hotel ballroom, yet not complaining at all. The service was even pretty good. Most importantly, La Madre was happy.

In unrelated news, here is a story about one of my old professors from Syracuse, Robert Thompson, and how journalists always call him for quotes. It's not the most original idea for a story, since pretty much everyone knows about him, but I must give Syracuse a link. And for the record, I got a B Plus in his class, The Golden Age of Television. In it we watched old episodes of Hill Street Blues, where the cops actually sweat, and Twin Peaks, which still doesn't make any sense to me.