Thursday, May 17, 2007

NKOTB Will Never Be Ironic

NKOTB tee at Urban Outfitters

Urban Outfitters boggles my mind. Here is a company that prides itself on selling poorly made clothing to people who don't live in New York City so that they can feel like they are some downtown hipster. Even more baffling is that there are at least three of these stores in New York, as if we need a bunch of marketing goons telling us what's cool. For years I looked the other way as they hawked bubble skirts, assymetrical dresses and jelly shoes. Eventually I figured their focus groups would come to their senses and realizes that we don't need to bring everything back from the '80s.

You can imagine my horror, then, when I was in Urban Outfitters yesterday and I saw that they are trying to offer NKOTB T-shirts as a viable fashion choice. Despite my adoration of Jordan Knight, even I never wore these things, for fear of getting beat up. If there was ever a reason for hipster-on-hipster crime, this shirt would be a valid reason.

What would be worse? Having to spend an eternity in Urban Outfitters get ups or Anne Taylor mom outfits? I shudder.