Thursday, September 14, 2006

How About That John Mayer Show?


John Mayer
Originally uploaded by SmallAsDust.

I've been known to gush about John Mayer on occasion, but I've been following this guy's career since 2001. It pleases me to see it go in such a positive direction and last night's show at Webster Hall was a perfect example.

I hadn't planned on going at all. I teach a class on Wednesday nights and last night was the one. After doing evalutions and me offering some words of wisdom about writing, everyone went home and I started my walk home across town. Webster Hall was en route, and there wasn't much of a line outside. I figured that since I was a single gal they would let me in if it was sold out. I have pulled this before at other venues and it works surprising well. Just wear a smile and something low cut.

However, this time there were tickets available and my $40 was much more effective than my feminine wiles. The last time I was in Webster Hall was in 2004 to see Franz Ferd, right when they were blowing up. The place was packed for the Ferd, but Mayer's crowd was a little roomier and most def tamer. 50% fewer hipster as well.

Long story short: The show was incredible. I have seen him play in Irving Plaza, Jone's Beach, The Beacon Theater, even at a taping for the Carson Daily Show. Last night was the best I have ever seen. His new album is also amazing. Recommended tracks are "Heart of Life," "Belief," "Stop This Train," and "Slow Dancing in a Burning Room." Heck, the whole record rocks. Go get it. Stat.

And if you're some jaded guy who doesn't like Mayer because deep down you're jealous of his snake-charmer ways with women, then you need to get over that and look a little closer at his music. Mayer could eat you for breakfast.