Monday, June 12, 2006

Gramercy = Crazytown


Posturing
Originally uploaded by The Pack.

When I have official business to take care of, I like to get it done at the library. That way I'm not distracted by the TV or things to be cleaned or the fashion mags on my couch.

This morning I got to the library right when it opened and got myself 45 minutes on a computer, which also gave me free printing. I was humming along for about half an hour, printing, e-mailing and being as productive as I've ever been, when I got up to get something out of the printer.

When I got back to my desk 5 seconds later, this middle-aged woman was sitting at my computer. Not only was ALL my stuff on the desk: purse, papers, etc. But she had closed me out of my session.

I looked at her in horror, since I just lost everything I was working on. I shouted at her, "What's wring with you? I'm still working! Are you crazy?"

Then the woman actually started to twitch, and I realized my choice of words may have been a poor one, given that Bellevue is five blocks away and patients are known to hang out in the library on 23rd Street.

I got on another machine and finished out my session. Still, you really have to be a few pickles short of a barrell to sit down at a computer where someone has piled up their bag and papers.

Moral of the story: I really need to move out of Gramercy. Are people more sane in Nolita? I mean, the people who actually live there, not the Bridge and Tunnel weekend crew