Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Monday Night Slacker


First holiday
Originally uploaded by Zamm.

I came home last night and wonder of wonders, there were no random family members or Bulldogs in my apartment. I had a burger and fries for dinner and absolutely no plans beyond that. All was truly right in the world.

And so I spent the next few hours watching Clerks, playing DJ and writing. It was funny that Clerks was on, being that I hadn't seen the film in years. For a first effort, it's one of Kevin Smith's better films.

For those that follow all of his work, it's funny to hear chracters talk about other characters that show up in different films, such as Alyssa Jones and Rick Darris. I also never realized how much the Dante character in Clerks annoyed me, or what screechy New Jersey accents most of the female charqcters had. Jason Mewes also looks like he's about 16 years old in the film. He's one of it's redeeming qualities. Then again, I didn't grow up in suburban New Jersey, so what do I know? Maybe the Dantes and the Veronicas are more realistic than I realize. Nevertheless, I have always thought that Kevin Smith's dialogue is way too wordy. People don't talk like his characters. Maybe he missed his true calling as a novelist.

Anyway, it was strange that Clerks was on last night because New York magazine has a story this week about people who "refuse" to grow up and instead look like overgrown teenagers. I've often wondered if the hipsters and yupsters of today are an evolved form of the slacker from the 1990s. Slackers kind of prided themselves on crappy jobs while hipsters, on the other hand, pride themselves on having artistic jobs that "mean" something and living in cool neighborhoods.

I'll think a little but more in this. I might be onto something.