Thursday, September 01, 2005

Whoa. It's September

AP Photo/The Mississippi Press, Carisa Anderson

[Margaret Wood of Ocean Springs, Miss., sorts through her daughter's wedding presents Wednesday, Aug. 31, 2005, that were stored in Wood's home when Hurricane Katrina made landfall Monday on the Gulf Coast. Wood's daughter, LeAnn Smith, married in May. Smith and her drove to Ocean Springs on Wednesday to help the Woods salvage things from the home damaged by a surge from the Biloxi Bay. (AP Photo/The Mississippi Press, Carisa Anderson)]

I'm really amazed by some of the photos coming out of New Orleans and Missisippi. I see a lot of them everyday and I'm just astounded by how this whole situation is unfolding. Between the looting and the rising death toll, I'm glued.

Which also means that for a third day I'm a little work horse without much else to report to you. My evenings have been spent running errands and doing all the stuff I would normally be doing on company time. Last night I got my eyes checked. Turns out I'm practically blind. I actually have to wear glasses full time now, which bums me out because I've never been into that sexy librarian look. It's been done, redone and overdone.(I see myself more as a Russian debutante, if you must know. Ha.) I also went to the Virgin Mega Store to pick up some supplies. Tonight I'm going to a tap class, because I haven't gotten any real exercise since Sunday. (Walking the mile and half to and from work doesn't count.)

Here's a little non-required reading for your pre-Labor Day festivities:

I don't usually read The New York Press but they have two really great stories this week. One is about how one writer yearns for New York City circa 1988. (I've always been a big fan of 1997, myself.) Another story examines why cocaine is so popular and easy to get nowadays

If you're looking for some new tunes to get you through these last, flimsy days of summer, by all means pick up the new Brandi Carlile CD. A publicist friend sent me over a copy a few months ago and it has earned a permanent spot in my CD changer. (And it's only a three-disc changer.) I've said before that Ms. Carlile is like the offspring of Melissa Etheridge and Mama Cass. Her music's great and easy to sing along to, so don't miss out.

Oh, and Herbie Hancock's CD, Cataloupe Island is always a good time.