Saturday, July 26, 2014

In The Zone


This week I've been wrapping up a book proposal that I've been working on for a long time. I even borrowed a friend's apartment downtown so that I can get as much done as possible.

The book is heavy on science and medicine, and so it's nearly impossible to write and edit anything without the internet. (If you're in the mood for some pillow talk about gluteomorphins and casomorphins, with a few tangents about hormone disruptors, I'm your gal.)

It's been said that the internet is the ultimate bane of writers, but I disagree. Spotify is the true enemy. Five years ago I did not have a tool where I could look up any song I wanted, for free, at any time. Now, I can look up multiple versions of the same song, and then lose half an hour of my life. Damn you, technology.

This week I stumbled across Sam Smith's incredible song, "Stay With Me." It's the reason my workflow has had fits and starts. If you have a serious sound system -- and even if you don't -- this song will melt your face off. It'll be the best three minutes of your day. Over and over again.

Of course, there's also a version with Mary J. Blige

One of these days I'll post more photos, but when I'm not at work I hang out at the gym and at dance class, and taking photos is generally frowned upon.

But read this piece. It will make you laugh. Hipster Finds Lifestyle Too Expensive, Reverts to Mainstream