Friday, June 20, 2014

It's Better To Be Tigger Than Eeyore


optimism New Yorker

Like the song from 42nd Street tells us, every situation has a sunny side. To underscore this point, there's a great post up on the New Yorker about how being an optimist is scientifically good for you.

My brand of optimism may border on Pollyanna-esque, naiveté, but I still think it's the best way to be. Difficult people eventually mellow out, the word "no" is just a jumping off point for further negotiations, and good things come from hard work and perseverance. And then there's always the elusive luck factor. Move to New York City with no job and $400 in my pocket? What could possibly go wrong? (Turns out, absolutely nothing.)

Speaking of things that make me happy, this evening while walking home from exercise class, I came across Cascada's version of "The Chistmas Song." Under normal circumstances Cascada makes dance music, tunes that would likely be popular with the cast of Jersey Shore. But her Chistmas album, which came out in 2012, is wonderful. I don't know why it took me so long to discover it.

There are two kinds of people in this world: those who listen to Christmas music year-round, and those that don't. (I am clearly the former.) Either way, this version of "The Christmas Song" is the happiest and jazziest thing you'll hear all day.