Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Zelda Fitzgerald: Still A Literary Fascination


Photo of Milford Sound in New Zealand!

Just when you thought I was done yammering about The Great Gatsby, a new book related to F. Scott Fitzgerald popped up onto my radar.

Anyone who knows me knows that if left to my own devices I like to nerd out on my roof deck and read all afternoon. At the very least I like to turn off all my devices at 9:00 p.m. and read until I get sleepy. I actually have more vivid dreams when I do this.

Today I learned about a novel that just came out called Call Me Zelda. When Zelda Fitzgerald is committed to a Baltimore psychiatric clinic in 1932, in her struggle to forge an identity separate from F.Scott, she finds a sympathetic friend in her nurse, Anna Howard. Anna is increasingly drawn into the Fitzgeralds’ tumultuous relationship. As she learns about Zelda’s confessions, written in a secret memoir meant only for her, Anna begins to wonder which Fitzgerald is the true genius.

As a sucker for any kind of smart chick lit, this has been moved to the top of my reading list.

Other Zelda/F.Scott books that came out in the last few months. Study up, kids.

Z. A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerlad
Beautiful Fools


Gatsby Girls
The Romantic Egoists



I should note that just because the name "Zelda" is back on the cultural radar it does not mean that hipster, Brooklyn parents are allowed to use it to name their daughters. The name peaked in the 1910s and should be left there.