Monday, December 17, 2012

I Wasn't Aware There Was An Opening In The Rat Pack


It's a week before Christmas and the holiday schmaltz is in full effect. My favorite Christmas special thus far has been Michael Buble's, although every time I watch it I'm baffled by his appeal.

The Michael Buble phenomenon fascinates me. I wasn't aware that the world needed another crooner -- considering how many we already have. It's been about 20 years since Harry Connick, Jr. and Chris Isaak were big deals, so maybe the timing is right.

Buble's Christmas special is structured like a variety show of yesteryear, and almost every woman I know has watched it many times, including myself. It's not like he's overwhelmingly attractive and sometimes I feel as I'm watching a drama student impersonate Frank Sinatra. Yet, I keep watching, keep listening to his music, even though Buble is, by all measures, a derivative of an original.

If you crave authentic crooners, and not a Canadian transplant a la Buble, there is a compilation album called "Christmas With The Rat Pack" that came out in 2002. You can check it out on Spotify or check out my favorite track below:


A Marshmallow World