Friday, October 12, 2012

Zen And The Art Of Short Hair Maintenance

Untitled

Right before the Life of Pi premier Erin C. made an offhand remark about how she liked how my hair went from dark to light. Oy. Since I'm not a fan of the ombre look, either intentional or unintentional, I realized it was time to go see Maria at the Davidov Salon, which is, quite literally, right across the street from my apartment.

I'm a big fan of short hair. Lately I've been telling anyone who will listen that this time next year short hair will be it, thanks in large part to The Great Gatsby movie. I'm just trying to get ahead of the game.

I will never understand women who are afraid to cut their hair or try something new. I've heard everything from "My husband would kill me if I cut my hair" to "My hairdresser won't let me." (What is he, your warden?) Given what we know about men liking variety, a dramatic new hairstyle would likely only help one's relationship, not send it spiraling into a death spin. New look = a whole new woman! Without actually being with another woman.

I digress. The point is that short hair takes a little upkeep, and not just at the salon. You do have to pay more attention to your face, since there is nothing to hide behind. That said, every time I lop off some hair, I get into long earrings. It's not in my fiber to shy away from drama, and I think big earrings add to a look that people already are going to notice. Some may call this attention-seeking behavior. I call it mojo.

Below, a slideshow of a few pairs that I'm totally coveting. (Click on the photo and find a link to purchase them.) My affinity for green is apparent. (I did a similar post for SheFinds a few weeks ago, long before I realized that I was starting to look like a mop.)