Monday, November 23, 2009

I Think I Am Officially Living In A Time Warp

As if spending my weekends in a home that is stunted in 1991, surrounded by trinkets of my younger years wasn't strange enough, I just found out that I have to take my driver's test again -- both written and road! Oh, and apparently I also need to sit through some classroom instruction as well.

I went down to the DMV this morning, ready to swap my old California license for a New York one so that Madre could put me on her car insurance so I can drive whatever car she gets to replace her smashed up Kia. The thing is, my California license expired a year and a half ago, and the limit for just transferring it is one year.

I could have taken the written test today and been that much closer, but the DMV does not allow you to have a baby with you when you take the test. It's a bizarre policy, but I didn't want to argue with the guy at the desk about it.

Larger issue: I have no idea how I'm going to pass this! The manual is an actual book, not like the few sheets of newsprint I had to study back in 1993. Also: what is a New York City road test like? Do they make you parallel park in Times Square during rush hour?

I suppose I should start reading that driver's manual.