Saturday, August 08, 2009

Get Out Of The House! It's Summer Streets!



TR had the idea to get up early this morning and take advantage of Summer Streets, which is when Park Avenue is closed from 72nd Street all the way down to the Brooklyn Bridge. Biking, jogging and rollerblading are all encouraged, so we packed up Andre and off we went -- from Murray Hill to Chinatown!

You can read more about Summer Streets and the whole New York 400, Holland on the Hudson program here.

Full set of my photos here.

First things first: my morning coffee in the perfect August weather.


Modern fatherhood: Real men push the pram.


This young entrepreneur/philanthropist on Lafayette Street sold two kinds of lemonade, which was quite good, and will offer baked goods next week. Even better: a portion of her profits are going toward a local school's autism program.


Who knew there were so many bicycling enthusiasts in NYC?


Pimp your ride


Andre and I on Spring Street


Dance class on 11th Street


Slumming on Park Avenue. Next time I'll use a flash.


The best part of Summer Streets is that you can walk over the bridge around Grand Central Terminal. If you're a dork about New York City, like I am, this sort of thing is fascinating.


I never knew there was a statue of Cornelius Vanderbilt here. Mostly because taxis speed by it way too quickly.


You can thank Jackie Kennedy for saving this. It almost went the way of the old Penn Station


How else could I ever get a shot like this?


Dwarfed by Gotham


I've never seen Park Avenue without traffic. Well, not in the middle of the day.


Next week we're going to walk up Park north of 42nd Street, all the way up to Central Park. I expect much more aggressive bicyclists uptown. Stay tuned!
This shot came out better than I thought it would