Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Wicked Game: Why Do Almost All Men Love This Song And Video?

Apropo of nothing, this morning TR blurted out, "Wicked Game! That video is so hot!" My head almost imploded, because he is the umpteenth guy I've known who has felt exactly the same way about that video. I've also never known a guy, born in the 1970s or earlier, who didn't own Chris Isaak's CD (yes, I just said CD). Or, for that matter, James Brown's greatest hits. What does that signify?

What is it about this video and song? It does nothing for me, mostly because I think it's far too typical of early 90s, black and white videos that try too hard to be arty. Also, the song drags a bit. Then again, maybe I have no appreciation for the Art of Seduction. Judge for yourself.


Personally, I like Janet Jackson's "Love Will Never Do" video much better, which looks spookily similar and is much more digestible. It's got a good beat, and I can dance to it. Janet's never looked better than she did in this video.


And while we're on the subject of black and white, early 90s Janet Jackson videos, "Rhythm Nation" must get a mention. Amazing on so many levels, from choreography to concept to direction.