Thursday, February 26, 2009

Eyes Wide Open


Wide Awake: 108/365, originally uploaded by lanikai92.


Over the past week or so I've started waking up at 5:30 a.m., raring and ready to go. I've never been a super early riser -- and certainly not voluntarily -- but as I get deeper into my second trimester I'm up with the sun. I'm so alert that if I were asked to do Calculus equations, I probably could.

This morning I decided not to fight it, and methinks I'll keep this attitude for the next few weeks. It's 7:45 a.m. now, and in the past two hours I've answered e-mails, sent out assignments for the writing class that I teach, showered, dried my hair, flipped through the Financial Times (which has suddenly started showing up at my front door as opposed to in the lobby) and made a point to take my prenatal vitamin, so that I don't forget later on.

People say that the crack of dawn is good for writing, so I'll see how that goes tomorrow. I haven't watched the sun rise since my days working overnights at the AP, and when you're not forced to watch them they're actually quite nice.