Monday, September 22, 2008

McDonald`s Really Is The Most Wasteful Company Ever


McDonald`s, originally uploaded by BieRHoFF Q8.


This morning I stopped at the McDonald's on 22nd and Sixth Avenue for a large coffee. I had my travel coffee mug with me, and so I asked the cashier just fill up my mug as opposed to giving my a styrofoam cup.

"I don't think we can do that," she said.

"It's OK," I said, "Just charge me for a large."

The cashier was flummoxed. She turned to her manager. "Can we do that? Fill her mug and charge her for a large?"

"No," the manager said. "If you want your coffee in your mug, you can pour it in from the cup we give you."

"That's really wasteful," I said. "The point of bringing your own mug is so that you cut down on waste."

I paid my $1.75 and out the door I went, with my mug and my styrofoam cup. The ironic part is that at most coffee shops, they'll only charge for a small if you bring your own mug. Maybe McDonald's gets some sort of profit handing out cups to people who don't use them.