Friday, March 21, 2008

What's Up With Glamour's Republican Slant?

Like most women, I have an odd relationship with womens' magazine. I subscribe to many of them (except Cosmo. Never Cosmo.) and I even interned at Elle when I was in college.

Glamour, though, has always been a point of contention with me. The magazine serves up the kind of McFeminism that encourages women to start a 401K and run 5K races for diseases, but little beyond that.

Which isn't to say that Glamour doesn't do some real good. Like plenty of others, I signed up for the online Body By Glamour challenge, which is meant to inspire women to get into shape, which is never a bad thing.

Oddly, the magazine has had some Republican leanings as of late. Most notably they've been rather sympathetic to the Bush family, which is curious. I wrote a column for The Simon about it. Check it.