Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Embrace the Cold


startled, originally uploaded by Bob Jones.

I kind of like the cold. Maybe it's because of all the years I spent in Syracuse or maybe because I have a great coat this year. Who knows? Point is, I like the bareness of this cold. It seems clean to me.

I think there's a certain kind of creativity that has to emerge when it's absolutely frigid outside yet you still have to get up, go to work, the gym or just get around town. When it was as cold as it was yesterday, I had to let the car run for a few minutes so that I wouldn't strain the engine. After two days I started to feel doughy and it took a lot of mental energy to put on shorts and a tank top and get to the gym this afternoon.

I also like the idea of being cooped up and having to rely on your wits to not go stir crazy. Sure, there are always movies and internet, but I've been trying to use these cold days constructively, to get projects done. I've been out at Le Doug's for a few days and all the laudry is done, the floors are vacuumed and tomorrow morning I plan to make cookies. Aces.

I don't run in cold weather like this (hello, treadmill) but if you insist, here are some tips about how to keep it safe. Hypothermia, anyone?

Don't forget about Fluffy: Cold weather safety tips for pets.

It's not cold weather related but still funny: This chart that takes the seven deadly sins, cross multiplies them and gets 21 secondary sins. Be sure to click on the diagram to see it full scale. Awesome.