Monday, July 03, 2006

The Holiday Weekend


4th Of July @ North East, MD
Originally uploaded by clawnscratch.

Despite having to work for a bit today, the Fourth of July has been a good time.

Saturday:
I had a revelation on Saturday: When one is 29 and otherwise a functioning member of society, it is a bit strange to not be able to drive. Old Skool Christine and I had a playdate set up at the Greenwich beach. On Saturday morning she told me her car was full, and I would have to meet her down there. In theory, this was not a strange request. There was a Beamer sitting in Doug's driveway and I had the keys to it. The beach stickers were outdated by a year, but I had guest passes and mail and my natural charms to get me pass the high school student who waves everyone through.

The thing is, I've barely driven in seven years. By barely, I mean that since 1999, I've driven a car once, for a week last July. Even when I did have a car, it was never for more than a month during breaks from college and even then I would back in poles and get speeding tickets. I do, however, have a valid Calfornia driver's license, at least until 2008.

I wanted to see Christine but I remembered Doug's warning about not driving his car. Nevertheless, I grabbed the keys, adjusted the driver's seat, put on the Belinda Carlisle CD and took off. I felt like I was 17 years old, driving for he first time in Marin County, convinced an 18 wheeler would plow over me.

It is literally a straight line from Doug's house to the beach, and I managed it well. The only time I got a little tense was when the road narrows right by Todd's Point and I had to fight for speace with SUVs. An SUV? In Old Greenwich? Why, people? Where do you plan to go off roading?

Thanks to some smooth talking I got into the beach, despite not have a 2006 sticker or a beach card. Christine and her friends were there and we sub bathed and chatted and all was mellow.

When I got home around 3:00 PM La Madre came by with my cousin, Frankie. Frankie is a little girl, and she's five and very much wanted to meet Maestro and Mozart. She played string with them until they hid under the bed. Then Frankie and I went to the park, got ice cream, and had some dinner on the back deck. Much root beer was consumed. Eventually I took her to the fireworks in Old Greenwich. I also bought her a little stuffed cat at the fireworks, which she named Maestro. I think I am now officially Cool Cousin Pauline. It's good to have fans that are five years old.

Sunday:
Jen invited up to her new place in Trumbull, and then to a BBQ her friend was hosting. I was all for it, except that Trumbull is quite far from Greenwich and there is no train. I decided not to push my luck with the driving, so La Ladre took me up. We checked out Jen's new house, which is great. Then we went over to her friend Shirley's house, for burgers and bratwurst and far too much Sangria.

I had to break up the party when my mom had to pick me up and get me back to Greenwich. I felt like I was 12. So, my new goal is to become a better driver, 12 years after I actually got my license.