Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Back Again

Breakfast and a few other meals have been consumed and caffeine has been ingested. I'd say that right now I'm functioning well.

Anyway, the week-end. I'm sure that people out in the Hamptons or even south of 14th Street had more raucous times than me. My three days away from The Job and NYC were mellow but fun, nonetheless. Saturday I headed out to Greenwich for a family party. I swam in the Long Island sound with my six little cousins and ate some amazing chicken salad sandwiches. Then I headed north to Fairfield to see Jen. We had no plan other than to eat burritos, drink wine and watch reality shows. First it was the one about the Playboy mansion, which is actually really good. Then we watched Kill Reality. I have many opinions about that show, the largest of which being that these people are batshit insane. Everyone's picking on Tonya for no reason, Jenna has a lousy part, Katie seems to be drunk 24 hours a day and Jonny Fairplay...I don't even know what to say about a man who will "upper deck" someone's toilet and then toss the remainders into the communal living room. After that we split our time between Taradise and a John Mayer show where he was playing with Buddy Guy. Jen wasn't into watching John Mayer play blues (I still don't understand how that is possible) and watching Tara Reid made us both feel a little bit dumber.

The next day I hit the Connecticut malls with La Mere and then headed back to NYC because I was invited to a BBQ. Earlier in the week I got an e-mail from a gal named Linda who I knew in middle school. She and I were pen pals for years after she moved from Norwalk to Long Island. For whatever reason she Googled me a few days ago, realized I was in NYC and invited me over. The funniest part was when Linda told me that she has a zillion letter from me, circa 1990, in which I go on and on about my love the New Kids on the Block. (The shame! The shame!) She told me there was one in which I went on for pages about a concert of theirs that I went to. All I could do was apologize.

Sunday I needed a good, strong cup of coffee, so I headed down to Cafe Gitane on Mott Street. I've been going there for years and it is absolutely one of my favorite places to spend my idle time and money. For $7 I can got a croissant, espresso and fresh squeezed juice. They even keep glossy, arty magazines around to peruse if you happen to be dining alone. The best part is the way everyone stares at you when you walk in, as if they're expecting you to be some sort of celebrity. I'm not a member of the glitterati, but it's nice being treated well in case they think you might be.

I intended to go straight home after my petit-dejeuner, but I remembered I still needed a dress for Julie's wedding in October. Back when I was in Westport I tried on an amazing dress at BCBG, but it was $400 and I couldn't justify paying that much dough for a dress I would, realistically, only wear once. I went into the BCBG in SoHo and found the dress, and it looked horrible on me. Even the sales girl asked me if that was the one I really wanted. I grabbed a handfull of others and eventually settled on a sheer brown halter number with sequins. It's hot.

I spent the rest of the afternoon shopping more. I stumbled upon a $24.99 shoe sale, and showed enough restraint to only leave with two pairs of pointy slingbacks. Then I went home, went for a run and headed to the Virgin Mega store where I picked up a few Herbie Hancock CDs. What is it with me and the Herbie Hancock lately? I've bought three in one week!

I also finally saw Sex, Lies and Videotape. I don't think James Spader could be any hotter.