Monday, July 11, 2005

By the Power Vested in Me By the City of New York...

Ah, weddings. This weekend was all about the nuptuals. Friday was a rehearsal dinner for my cousin Andrew. Andrew's a step-cousin, but still very cool and my dad, step mom, brothers and sister-in-law had a great evening hanging out and eating (a lot) up at Sambuca's on West 72nd Street.

Saturday was Sue and Dan's wedding, which was more than I could have expected. Everything went off without a hitch. I didn't flub my lines, Sue didn't pass out and the food was amazing. Our wine glasses were never empty. I was also a proud member of Table 10, which was not only the Syracuse kids table, (are we really hostile to outsiders?) but so bright that some of us had to wear sunglasses before the meal was served.

Sue put a lot of thought into the tables, and the best part about Table 10 was that since we all knew each other we didn't have to do the boring wedding reception greet and toss of, "What do you do? How do you know the bride?" Instead we continued conversations started days earlier and discussed whether "nipple" was a proper word for the dinner table. The jury is still out.

Later that night us kids all met up at Dewey's Flatiron where Sue and Dan's parents ran us a bar tab of food and drink. Everyone seemed pretty spent (I was basically a zombie) but that didn't stop us from hanging out or having our way with the mozarella sticks. It was a perfect night and the perfect end to a great day.

But there was no time for slacking or sleeping, since at noon on Sunday I had to be at Walker's in Tribeca for brunch with The Family. It was basically a re-run of Friday's meal, only with more eggs and less red wine. My dad, who has lived in California for over 15 years, showed up wearing a straw hat (to shield from the sun!) as well as socks with Birkenstocks and khaki shorts. I have rarely had a prouder moment.

After the meal and a stroll around the Hudson River Park and Ground Zero (nothing says "family outing" like visiting the site of a terror attack) I headed up to 33rd Street for work. Good time, good times.